- Market cap greater than $500 million
- Price to tangible book value below 1
- All sectors but financials
- Long-term debt to equity ratio below 50%
- Positive earnings in trailing 12 months
Rounding out the list of qualifying companies are Coeur Mining ( CDE) and oil and gas company LinnCo ( LNCO). Certainly very slim pickings, and not much to be excited about. But that's how it goes at times in value investing. At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.