MicroVision, Inc. (NASDAQ: MVIS), a leader in innovative ultra-miniature projection display technology, today announced it is supplying multiple prototype Scanned Engine Subsystems (SES) to a leading global Tier-One automotive supplier (Tier-1), an important milestone in the multi-phased design win process for the Tier-1’s embedded Head Up Display (HUD) application. The SES systems will be part of the Tier-1’s reliability testing and characterization for potential use of PicoP® display technology in an embedded HUD application for at least one major automotive OEM. The order includes engineering services along with the prototype systems. Rigorous evaluation and testing are integral elements in the process automotive suppliers follow to qualify components for inclusion in production automotive systems, in this case an embedded HUD. This Tier-1 supplier purchased multiple automotive PicoP ® Evaluation Kits from MicroVision in Q3 and Q4 of 2012 as part of its overall, comprehensive evaluation process. Moving to the reliability testing phase of the program is a precursor to further development and commercialization activities. Delivery of the units and commencement of acceptance testing are expected before the end of the year. MicroVision’s HUD system based on patented PicoP ® display technology offers many advantages, including:
- High contrast that produces a clear see-through display with no background color. For night driving there is no background “glow” resulting in clear visibility of the projected information.
- High brightness, brilliant colors and a wide color gamut that enhance HUD information in varied natural backgrounds and in daytime lighting conditions.
- Ability to create an augmented reality display that presents information as if it is floating several feet in front of the driver.
- Efficiency and power savings as a result of pixel-by-pixel modulation that produces light only when needed.
- Small form factor for flexibility in embedded installation.