BEIJING, Aug. 29, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Bona Film Group Limited ("Bona" or the "Company") (Nasdaq:BONA), a leading film distributor and vertically integrated film company in China, today announced its unaudited financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013. "The second quarter was another strong quarter for Bona, during which we achieved robust top and the bottom line growth with non-GAAP net income nearly 35% above the high-end of our guided range," said Bona founder, Chairman and CEO Mr. Yu Dong. "In the second quarter, we continued advancing our key strategic initiatives of expanding our theater network and driving solid overall box office performance through a diversified and balanced film slate. I am particularly pleased with the performance of our theater business segment, which once again exceeded expectations in the second quarter, delivering year-over-year revenue and segment profit growth of 71% and 74%, respectively. We are confident that we can build upon what we have achieved in the first half and are encouraged by our outlook for the second half of 2013. Our expanding theater network, our strong film production and distribution capabilities, and our diverse, high-quality film pipeline position Bona well for a successful second half of 2013 and for even greater achievement over the longer-term." Second Quarter 2013 Financial Summary
- Second quarter 2013 net revenues were US$28.3 million, compared with US$20.7 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Second quarter 2013 gross profit was US$15.0 million, compared with US$11.7 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Second quarter 2013 gross margin was 53.2%, compared with 56.3% in the second quarter of 2012.
- Second quarter 2013 net income attributable to Bona Film Group Limited was US$1.8 million, or US$0.03 per diluted ADS 1, compared with net income attributable to Bona Film Group Limited of US$0.5 million, or US$0.01 per diluted ADS, in the second quarter of 2012.
- Second quarter 2013 non-GAAP net income 2 was US$2.0 million, or US$0.04 per diluted ADS, compared to non-GAAP net income of US$1.8 million, or US$0.03 per diluted ADS in the second quarter of 2012.
- Second quarter 2013 adjusted EBITDA, non-GAAP 2, was US$4.1 million, compared with US$2.8 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Cash and cash equivalents, term deposits and restricted cash totaled US$33.0 million as of June 30, 2013.
- Cash outflow from operating activities totaled US$9.6 million, compared with cash outflow from operating activities of US$17.0 million in the second quarter of 2012.
- Distributed and invested in a total of three films in the second quarter – Christmas Rose, Kuiba II and The Funeral Parlor.
- Released action drama Unbeatable on August 16, 2013 , directed by Dante Lam and starring Nick Cheung and Eddie Peng. This highly anticipated film, whose stars were named Best Actor and Best Actress at the 16 th Annual Shanghai International Film Festival, has generated over RMB 110 million in domestic ticket sales to-date.
- Romantic comedy, My Lucky Star, a prequel to the hit 2009 film Sophie's Revenge, starring Ziyi Zhang and Leehom Wang, is scheduled for release on September 17, 2013.
- Continued postproduction work on 3D disaster film Inferno 3D, directed by Oxide & Danny Pang and starring renowned Hong Kong actors Sean Lau, Louis Koo and Angelica Lee, scheduled for release on September 30, 2013.
- Continued postproduction work on crime drama The White Storm (formerly The Cartel War), directed by Benny Chan and starring Louis Koo, Sean Lau and Nick Cheung, tentatively scheduled for release in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- Hollywood action comedy Red 2, directed by Dean Parisot and stars Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich and Anthony Hopkins, received regulatory approvals and is scheduled for release in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- Completed filming and began postproduction work on corporate action film Overheard 3, produced by Derek Yee, co-directed by Alan Mak and Felix Chong and starring Sean Lau, Louis Koo, Daniel Wu and Xun Zhou, the 3D martial arts epic The White-Haired Witch, directed by Jacob Cheung, produced by Jianxin Huang and starring Xiaoming Huang and Bingbing Fan, and crime drama Sunspot, directed by well-known mainland Chinese director Baoping Cao and starring popular mainland Chinese actors Chao Deng, Yihong Duan, Tao Guo and Luodan Wang. All three films are tentatively slated for release in 2014.
- Began production on action drama From Vegas to Macau, starring Chow Yun-Fat, Nicholas Tse and Tian Jing. The film, which has already received wide media coverage, is tentatively scheduled for release in 2014.
- Announced the launch of an RMB 1 billion (approximately US$163.4 million) film fund through partnership with Sequoia Capital Management Ltd. and Noah Holdings Ltd. to finance the development and production of film and TV projects over the next two years.
|Net Revenues (US$mm)||28.3||20.7||36.3%|
Net Revenues by Segment Operations
|Distribution||Investment & Production||Movie Theater||Talent Agency||Intersegment Elimination||Consolidated|
|Net Revenues from External Customers (US$mm)||5.6||5.7||16.8||0.2||--||28.3|
|Intersegment Revenues (US$mm)||0.2||1.8||--||--||(2.0)||--|
|Total Net Revenues (US$mm)||5.8||7.5||16.8||0.2||(2.0)||28.3|
|Gross Profit (US$mm)||15.0||11.7||28.7%|
Segment Profit 3 and Segment Margin
|Distribution||Investment & Production||Movie Theater||Talent Agency||Consolidated|
|Segment Profit (US$mm)||2.3||3.3||9.7||0.2||15.5|
|As % of Total Segment Profit||15.4%||21.1%||62.5%||1.0%||100%|
|Operating Expenses (US$mm)||14.7||11.6||27.1%|
|Operating Income (US$mm)||1.2||0.7||73.1%|
Second quarter 2013 operating margin was 4.4% compared to 3.5% in the second quarter of 2012. The year-over-year increase in operating margin was primarily due to growth in the Company's film investment and movie theater businesses.Net Income and Net Income Attributable to Bona Film Group Limited per ADS
|Net Income Attributable to Bona Film Group Limited (US$mm)||1.8||0.5|
|Net Income Attributable to Bona Film Group Limited per ADS (US$)||0.03||0.01|
|Non-GAAP Net Income (US$mm)||2.0||1.8|
|Non-GAAP Net Income Attributable to Bona Film Group Limited per ADS (US$)||0.04||0.03|
|Adjusted EBITDA, non-GAAP (US$mm)||4.1||2.8|
Cash and Cash FlowAs of June 30, 2013, Bona had cash, cash equivalents and restricted cash totaling US$33.0 million, compared with US$28.0 million as of December 31, 2012. Operating cash flow for the second quarter was a net outflow of approximately US$9.6 million, compared with US$17.0 million for the second quarter of 2012. The change in cash flow from operations was mainly attributable to investment and production expenses associated with films that the Company expects to release in 2013 . Business Outlook Based on current market and operating conditions, the Company expects non-GAAP net income for the third quarter of 2013 to be in the range of US$3.0 million to US$3.5 million. "Looking ahead to the remainder of 2013, we will continue to focus on growing our complementary business segments through the ongoing expansion of our theater network, while we build upon our leading position in China's film distribution market by leveraging our diverse second-half release schedule, which includes several films that we believe have strong box office potential. In addition to our aggressive theater development strategy and compelling second-half release slate, our international expansion initiatives remain on track and are expected to create additional revenue opportunities for the Company. We have built a strong foundation for future growth and remain excited about what the future holds for Bona. We currently anticipate non-GAAP net income of $3.0 million to $3.5 million for the third quarter of 2013," added Mr. Yu. Second Quarter 2013 Conference Call Details Bona management will hold the earnings conference call at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Thursday, August 29, 2013 (8:00 a.m. Beijing/Hong Kong Time on Friday, August 30, 2013). Management will discuss results and highlights of the quarter and answer questions from investors. The dial-in numbers for the earnings conference call are as follows:
|U.S. Toll Free: +1-855-500-8701|
|Hong Kong Toll Free: 800-903-737|
|China, Domestic: 400-120-0654|
|The conference ID # is 33469546|
For more information about Bona, please visit http://www.bonafilm.cn .To be added to Bona's email list to receive Company news, please send your request to email@example.com. The Bona Film Group Limited logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=15750 Forward Looking Statements This news release may contain certain "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and as defined in the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements can be identified by terminology such as "will," "expects," "anticipates," "future," "intends," "plans," "believes," "estimates" and similar statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact in this press release are forward-looking statements and involve certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on management's current expectations, assumptions, estimates and projections about the Company and the industry in which the Company operates, but involve a number of unknown risks and uncertainties, Further information regarding these and other risks is included in the Company's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The Company undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect subsequent occurring events or circumstances, or changes in its expectations, except as may be required by law. Although the Company believes that the expectations expressed in these forward-looking statements are reasonable, it cannot assure you that such expectations will turn out to be correct, and actual results may differ materially from the anticipated results. You are urged to consider these factors carefully in evaluating the forward-looking statements contained herein and are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements, which are qualified in their entirety by these cautionary statements.
Non-GAAP Financial MeasuresTo supplement Bona's consolidated financial results presented in accordance with GAAP, Bona uses the following measures defined as non-GAAP financial measures by the SEC: non-GAAP net income, non-GAAP net income attributable to Bona Film Group Limited per ADS, which exclude share-based compensation expenses, and adjusted EBITDA, non-GAAP, which excludes share-based compensation expenses, interest, taxes, and non-cash depreciation and amortization charges. The presentation of these non-GAAP financial measures is not intended to be considered in isolation, as a substitute for, or to be superior to the financial information prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP. In addition, Bona's definition of non-GAAP net income may be different from the definitions used by other companies, and therefore comparability may be limited. Bona believes that these non-GAAP financial measures provide meaningful supplemental information regarding its performance by excluding certain expenses and expenditures that may not be indicative of its operating performance and a supplemental liquidity measure which is useful for understanding and evaluating the Company's capacity for servicing its debt, and otherwise meeting its cash needs. Adjusted EBITDA, non-GAAP, excludes depreciation and amortization, so it does not reflect any cash requirements for the replacement of the assets, which will often have to be replaced in the future. The Company believes that both management and investors benefit from referring to these non-GAAP financial measures in assessing the Company's performance and liquidity, and when planning and forecasting future periods. The table appears at the end of this press release has more details on the reconciliations between GAAP financial measures that are comparable to non-GAAP financial measures. 1 "ADS" is American depositary share. Each two ADSs represent one ordinary share. 2 As used in this press release, non-GAAP net income and non-GAAP net income attributable to Bona Film Group Limited per ADS exclude share-based compensation expenses. Adjusted EBITDA, non-GAAP, excludes share-based compensation expenses, interest, taxes and non-cash depreciation and amortization charges. See "Non- GAAP Financial Measures" and "Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Measures" at the end of this press release. 3 Segment profit is gross profit less film participation expense by segments for the periods indicated.
|Unaudited Condensed Consolidated Statement of Operations|
|(in U.S. dollars, except share data)|
|Three-months ended June 30||Six-months ended June 30|
|Cost of revenue||13,235,144||9,066,347||41,760,148||31,955,978|
|Film participation expense||(487,598)||96,491||(323,089)||694,853|
|Sales and marketing expenses||3,206,413||2,168,475||5,814,691||10,236,429|
|General and administrative expenses||11,988,812||9,310,355||23,957,287||18,244,484|
|Total operating expenses||14,707,627||11,575,321||29,448,889||29,175,766|
|Interest income (reversal)||27,656||125,140||(4,370)||199,447|
|Exchange gain (loss)||564,015||(242,101)||511,226||(511,413)|
|Investment Loss (income)||--||(5,584)||--||(5,584)|
|Income before income tax provision, equity in earnings of equity method investment, net of tax||1,491,557||638,638||1,733,335||3,540,696|
|Provision for income taxes||298,311||127,728||346,667||708,140|
|Equity in earnings of equity method investment, net of tax||--||--||--||5,604|
|Less: Net income attributable to the noncontrolling interests||(646,816)||(1,924)||(1,001,040)||56,181|
|Net income attributable to Bona Film Group Limited||1,840,062||512,834||2,387,708||2,781,979|
|Net income attributable to Bona Film Group Limited per ADS|
|Weighted average shares used in calculating net income per ordinary share|
|Unaudited Condensed Statement of Consolidated Comprehensive Income|
|(in U.S. dollars)|
|Three-months ended June 30||Six-months ended June 30|
|Other comprehensive income, net of tax|
|Foreign currency translation adjustments||1,126,588||(828,771)||1,443,057||(877,981)|
|Less: comprehensive income attribute to the noncontrolling interests||(639,994)||(14,074)||(991,329)||43,363|
|Comprehensive income attributable to Bona Film Group Ltd.||2,959,828||(303,787)||3,821,054||1,916,816|
|Unaudited Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(in U.S. dollars, except share data)|
|June 30 2013||December 31 2012|
|Cash and cash equivalents||28,934,062||23,227,922|
|Accounts receivable, net of allowance for doubtful accounts||43,302,149||40,307,672|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||22,583,756||23,329,262|
|Amount due from related parties||334,117||343,817|
|Current deferred tax assets||651,231||970,683|
|Total current assets||100,186,505||93,271,124|
|Prepaid film costs||6,416,167||7,426,915|
|Property and equipment, net||59,492,143||60,208,609|
|Acquired intangible assets, net||2,826,608||3,189,481|
|Non-current deferred tax assets||269,432||311,102|
|Cost method investments||1,297,761||1,296,307|
|Accrued expenses and other current liabilities||29,336,998||28,145,099|
|Amounts due to related parties||5,381,117||5,746,328|
|Income taxes payable||1,129,795||2,420,443|
|Current film participation liabilities||8,078,263||15,086,892|
|Total current liabilities||121,249,739||107,869,633|
|Deferred tax liability||118,848||211,203|
|Ordinary shares (par value of US$0.0005 per share, 85,000,000 shares authorized, 30,402,346 and 29,811,618 shares issued and outstanding as of June 30, 2013 and 30,402,346 and 29,737,257 shares issued and outstanding as of Dec 31, 2012.)||14,906||14,869|
|Additional paid-in capital||178,849,244||176,134,737|
|Accumulated other comprehensive income||7,898,436||6,465,090|
|Total Bona Film Group Limited's equity||192,244,084||185,708,486|
|Total liabilities and equity||336,355,724||316,565,660|
|Unaudited Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Measures|
|(in U.S. dollars)|
|Three-months ended June 30|
|Non-GAAP Net income||2,023,703||1,750,026|
|Depreciation & Amortization||1,418,829||1,024,096|
|Six-months ended June 30|
|Non-GAAP Net income||3,253,840||5,002,451|
|Depreciation & Amortization||2,812,619||2,079,948|
CONTACT: In China: Ms. Lingzi Gui Bona Film Group Limited Tel: +86-10-5631-0700*398 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org In the U.S.: The Piacente Group, Inc. Investor Relations Lee Roth Tel: (212) 481-2050 Email: email@example.com