YieldBoost HTLD From 0.6% To 3.7%

Shareholders of Heartland Express, Inc. ( HTLD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the March 2014 covered call at the $15 strike and collect the premium based on the 25 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 3.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 3.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but HTLD shares would have to advance 6.1% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 7.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Heartland Express, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for HTLD below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.6% annualized dividend yield.

HTLD+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing HTLD's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $15 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2014 covered call at the $15 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $15. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Heartland Express, Inc. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $14.15) to be 19%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the HTLD Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

If you liked this article you might like

Trump Pitches Tax Plan to Truckers as Threat to Scrap NAFTA Looms

Trump Pitches Tax Plan to Truckers as Threat to Scrap NAFTA Looms

Here’s A Reason Heartland Express (HTLD) Stock Closed Down Today

Here’s A Reason Heartland Express (HTLD) Stock Closed Down Today

Analysts' Actions -- Bristol-Myers, Coach, IBM, Verizon and More

Analysts' Actions -- Bristol-Myers, Coach, IBM, Verizon and More

Dividend Watch: 3 Stocks Going Ex-Dividend Thursday: RIV, GLAD, HTLD

Dividend Watch: 3 Stocks Going Ex-Dividend Thursday: RIV, GLAD, HTLD

Heartland Express (HTLD) Flagged As Strong On High Volume

Heartland Express (HTLD) Flagged As Strong On High Volume