How To YieldBoost Winthrop Realty Trust From 5.2% To 7.1%

Shareholders of Winthrop Realty Trust ( FUR) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 5.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2014 covered call at the $12.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 15 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 1.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $12.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but FUR shares would have to climb 0.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Winthrop Realty Trust, looking at the dividend history chart for FUR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 5.2% annualized dividend yield.


Below is a chart showing FUR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $12.50 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2014 covered call at the $12.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $12.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Winthrop Realty Trust (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $12.41) to be 20%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the FUR Stock Options page of


If you liked this article you might like

Why Winthrop Realty (FUR) Stock Is Up Today

Winthrop Realty Trust Inc. Stock Downgraded (FUR)

Winthrop Realty Trust Inc. Stock Downgraded (FUR)

You're Not Researching Enough About Jobs and Housing

Winthrop Realty Trust Inc. Stock Upgraded (FUR)