Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Marathon Petroleum ( MPC) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials laggard. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1.7%. By the end of trading, Marathon Petroleum fell $1.71 (-2.3%) to $73.10 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3,199,396 shares of Marathon Petroleum exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,060,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $72.70-$74.48 after having opened the day at $73.57 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $74.81. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: Vista Gold Corporation ( VGZ), down 15.0%, Golden Star Resources ( GSS), down 13.5%, Cardero Resources Corporation ( CDY), down 11.7% and Uranerz Energy Corporation ( URZ), down 11.1%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass
- You can view the full Marathon Petroleum Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.