- Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its price level of one year ago, NATL is up 7.65% to its most recent closing price of 26.36. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals should not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The net income has significantly decreased by 186.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $7.27 million to -$6.28 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization.
- NATIONAL INTERSTATE CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NATIONAL INTERSTATE CORP reported lower earnings of $1.75 versus $1.81 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 60.6% in earnings ($0.69 versus $1.75).
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- National Interstate Corporation (Nasdaq: NATL) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in stock price during the past year and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's earnings per share has not been good.