Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Gannett ( GCI) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Gannett as such a stock due to the following factors:
- GCI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $50.3 million.
- GCI has traded 1.5 million shares today.
- GCI traded in a range 201.3% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.16.
- GCI traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 5 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 5 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock s movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GCI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GCI NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on GCI: Gannett Co., Inc. operates as a media and marketing solutions company in the United States and internationally. It operates through three segments: Publishing, Digital, and Broadcasting. The Publishing Segment operates 82 U.S. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.3%. GCI has a PE ratio of 12.7. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Gannett a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Gannett has been 3.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Gannett has a market cap of $5.6 billion and is part of the services sector and media industry. The stock has a beta of 1.59 and a short float of 3.8% with 4.33 days to cover. Shares are up 35.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Gannett as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, notable return on equity, attractive valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, GCI's share price has jumped by 60.86%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, GCI should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, GANNETT CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $187.66 million or 21.46% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -8.78%.
- 45.59% is the gross profit margin for GANNETT CO which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.72% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Gannett Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.