Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Occidental Petroleum Corporation ( OXY) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Occidental Petroleum Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- OXY has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $300.2 million.
- OXY traded 392,762 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 5:56 AM, representing 11.3% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in OXY with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for OXY NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on OXY: Occidental Petroleum Corporation engages in the exploration and production of oil and gas properties in the United States and internationally. The company operates in three segments: Oil and Gas; Chemical; and Midstream, Marketing and Other. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.9%. OXY has a PE ratio of 16.0. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Occidental Petroleum Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold. The average volume for Occidental Petroleum Corporation has been 4.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Occidental has a market cap of $70.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.81 and a short float of 1% with 2.24 days to cover. Shares are up 12.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Occidental Petroleum Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- OXY's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.18 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.01, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The gross profit margin for OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORP is rather high; currently it is at 56.54%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 22.17% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $3,513.00 million or 10.02% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -17.85%.
- OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORP reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORP reported lower earnings of $5.71 versus $8.15 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.85 versus $5.71).
- You can view the full Occidental Petroleum Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.