YieldBoost DSW From 0.3% To 15.5%

Shareholders of DSW Inc ( DSW) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2014 covered call at the $80 strike and collect the premium based on the $5.00 bid, which annualizes to an additional 15.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 15.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $80 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DSW shares would have to advance 1.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 7.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of DSW Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for DSW below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.3% annualized dividend yield.

DSW+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing DSW's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $80 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 covered call at the $80 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $80. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for DSW Inc (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $78.61) to be 23%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the DSW Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 594,379 contracts, with call volume at 1.04M, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today.

null

If you liked this article you might like

What Amazon Effect? 8 Favorite Stocks in Specialty Retailing

What Amazon Effect? 8 Favorite Stocks in Specialty Retailing

If Designer Shoe Warehouse Fits, Wear It

If Designer Shoe Warehouse Fits, Wear It

Cramer: This Is the Era of Good Feelings

Cramer: This Is the Era of Good Feelings

Intuitive Surgical, Chicago Mercantile Exchange: 'Mad Money' Lightning Round

Intuitive Surgical, Chicago Mercantile Exchange: 'Mad Money' Lightning Round

A Roaring, Rip-Snorting Bull: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Wednesday 11/1/17)

A Roaring, Rip-Snorting Bull: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Wednesday 11/1/17)