While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Martin Midstream Partners L.P (NASDAQ: MMLP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.30%. Martin Midstream Partners L.P. collects, transports, stores, and markets petroleum products and by-products in the United States Gulf Coast region. The company has a P/E ratio of 24.40. The average volume for Martin Midstream Partners L.P has been 113,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Martin Midstream Partners L.P has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 38.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Martin Midstream Partners L.P as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- MARTIN MIDSTREAM PARTNERS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MARTIN MIDSTREAM PARTNERS LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.33 versus $0.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.86 versus $1.33).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 26.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $7.19 million to $9.08 million.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MARTIN MIDSTREAM PARTNERS LP has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 83.33% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 29.40% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- You can view the full Martin Midstream Partners L.P Ratings Report.