YieldBoost Gladstone Commercial Corp From 8.2% To 9.1%

Shareholders of Gladstone Commercial Corp ( GOOD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 8.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the March 2014 covered call at the $20 strike and collect the premium based on the 10 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 0.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $20 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but GOOD shares would have to climb 9.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 10.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks with Insider Buying »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Gladstone Commercial Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for GOOD below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 8.2% annualized dividend yield.

GOOD+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing GOOD's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $20 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2014 covered call at the $20 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $20. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Gladstone Commercial Corp (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $18.24) to be 19%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the GOOD Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 632,319 contracts, with call volume at 1.19M, for a put:call ratio of 0.53 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today.

null

If you liked this article you might like

10 Ideas for Generating Monthly Dividends

10 Ideas for Generating Monthly Dividends

What To Sell: 3 Sell-Rated Dividend Stocks AJX, GOOD, RAS

What To Sell: 3 Sell-Rated Dividend Stocks AJX, GOOD, RAS

Dividend Watch: 3 Stocks Going Ex-Dividend Tomorrow: FLC, HIO, GOOD

Dividend Watch: 3 Stocks Going Ex-Dividend Tomorrow: FLC, HIO, GOOD

What To Sell: 3 Sell-Rated Dividend Stocks AMTG, EARN, GOOD

What To Sell: 3 Sell-Rated Dividend Stocks AMTG, EARN, GOOD

Insider Trading Alert - NTGR, PAYX And GOOD Traded By Insiders

Insider Trading Alert - NTGR, PAYX And GOOD Traded By Insiders