How To YieldBoost FIZZ To 31%

Shareholders of National Beverage Corp. ( FIZZ) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 14.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the September covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 30 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 16.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 31% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but FIZZ shares would have to climb 1.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of National Beverage Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for FIZZ below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 14.8% annualized dividend yield.


Below is a chart showing FIZZ's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for National Beverage Corp. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.29) to be 34%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the FIZZ Stock Options page of


If you liked this article you might like

4 Stocks Warren Buffett Would Love

NovoCure, NextEra, O'Reilly: 'Mad Money' Lightning Round (7/7/17)

What to Watch During the Week: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 7/7/17)

Everyone Badly Wants to Know How Coca-Cola Will Become the Best in the World Again

Want to Spot a Bubble? Here Is National Beverage Stock