YieldBoost Sierra Bancorp From 1.8% To 4.7%

Shareholders of Sierra Bancorp ( BSRR) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the September covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 5 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 2.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BSRR shares would have to climb 11.4% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Sierra Bancorp, looking at the dividend history chart for BSRR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.8% annualized dividend yield.

BSRR+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing BSRR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Sierra Bancorp (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $15.79) to be 29%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BSRR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 526,635 contracts, with call volume at 928,322, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today.

null

If you liked this article you might like

3 Market-Beating Bank Stocks, and How to Find More Winners

3 Market-Beating Bank Stocks, and How to Find More Winners

Astoria Financial, Atlantic Coast Latest Merger Targets for Pushy Activists

Insider Trading Alert - BSRR, KALU And SEAC Traded By Insiders

BSRR Ex-Dividend Reminder - 1/27/15

5 Buy-Rated Bank Stock Takeout Targets From KBW