- Total revenue was $59.2 million, comprised of license revenue of $37.3 million and product and other revenue of $21.9 million, for the first quarter of fiscal 2014. For the first quarter of fiscal 2013, total revenue was $68.2 million, comprised of license revenue of $41.2 million and product and other revenue of $27.0 million.
- GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders was $1.5 million, or $0.03 per share, compared to GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders of $3.0 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $16.0 million, compared to $22.0 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
- As previously announced, RealD has modified its definition of Adjusted EBITDA for financial reporting purposes to align with the Adjusted EBITDA definition under RealD’s credit facility. As a result, the prior year calculation of Adjusted EBITDA was revised to conform with RealD’s new definition of Adjusted EBITDA.
- Adjusted EBITDA is defined within the section of this press release entitled “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures,” which includes a reconciliation to its most comparable GAAP measure, net income (loss).
- For the quarter ended June 30, 2013, cash flows from operating activities were a negative $8.7 million and total capital expenditures were $10.1 million, resulting in negative free cash flow of $18.8 million. Cash flows were impacted by unfavorable movements in working capital items during the quarter (when compared to RealD’s balance sheet as of March 31, 2013 for the prior quarter), due primarily to timing considerations, including a $10.0 million increase in accounts receivable, a $3.8 million increase in inventory, and a $5.0 million decrease in accounts payable and accrued expenses.
- Free cash flow is defined within the section of this press release entitled “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures,” which includes a reconciliation to its most comparable GAAP measure, net cash provided by operating activities.
- As of June 30, 2013, $14.6 million remained available under RealD’s $75 million stock repurchase authorization. RealD did not repurchase shares during the quarter.
- As of June 30, 2013, cash and cash equivalents were $18.4 million and total debt was $52.5 million.
- Estimated box office generated on RealD-enabled screens (1) for the first quarter of fiscal 2014 was $838 million ($431 million domestic, $407 million international). In the first quarter of fiscal 2013, estimated box office generated on RealD-enabled screens was $933 million ($444 million domestic, $489 million international).
- Eight 3D films were released in the first quarter of fiscal 2014, compared to 10 3D films in the first quarter of fiscal 2013. These figures reflect the number of 3D films released domestically during the periods.
- International markets generated 55% of license revenue and 27% of product and other revenue in the first quarter of fiscal 2014.
- As of June 30, 2013, RealD had deployed approximately 23,500 RealD-enabled screens, an increase of 14% from approximately 20,700 screens as of June 22, 2012, and an increase of 800 screens (300 domestic, 500 international), or 4%, from approximately 22,700 screens as of March 31, 2013.
- As of June 30, 2013, RealD had approximately 13,100 domestic screens at approximately 2,900 domestic theater locations and approximately 10,400 international screens at approximately 2,700 international theater locations.
|(1)||Estimated domestic box office on RealD-enabled screens represents the estimated 3D box office generated on RealD-enabled domestic screens. Estimated international box office on RealD-enabled international screens is the estimated 3D box office generated on RealD-enabled international screens. RealD’s estimates of box office on RealD-enabled screens rely on box office tracking data. International box office reflects RealD’s estimates of international box office generated on RealD-enabled screens in 20 foreign countries where box office tracking is available. RealD estimates these countries represent approximately 85% of RealD’s international license revenues.|
|3D Theatrical Release Schedule for Fiscal 2014|
|(As of August 7, 2013 – Domestic)|
|Fiscal Q1 2014||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|(ended 6/30/13)||Jurassic Park (re-release)||4/5/2013|
|Iron Man 3||5/3/2013|
|The Great Gatsby||5/10/2013|
|Star Trek Into Darkness||5/16/2013|
|Man of Steel||6/14/2013|
|World War Z||6/21/2013|
|Fiscal Q2 2014||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|(ending 9/30/13)||Despicable Me 2||7/3/2013|
|The Smurfs 2||7/31/2013|
|Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters||8/7/2013|
|One Direction: This Is Us||8/30/2013|
|Battle of the Year: The Dream Team||9/20/2013|
|Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2||9/27/2013|
|Fiscal Q3 2014||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|Metallica: Through the Never||10/4/2013|
|Thor: The Dark World||11/8/2013|
|Postman Pat: The Movie - You Know You're the One||11/27/2013|
|The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug||12/13/2013|
|Walking With Dinosaurs||12/20/2013|
|Fiscal Q4 2014||Film||Domestic Release Date|
|(ending 3/31/14)||The Nut Job||1/17/2014|
|The Lego Movie||2/7/2014|
|Mr. Peabody and Sherman||3/7/2014|
|300: Rise of an Empire||3/7/2014|
|Sources: Rentrak and imdb.com.|