While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Niska Gas Storage Partners (NYSE: NKA) shares currently have a dividend yield of 9.60%. Niska Gas Storage Partners LLC owns and operates natural gas storage assets in North America. The company has a P/E ratio of 104.07. The average volume for Niska Gas Storage Partners has been 102,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. Niska Gas Storage Partners has a market cap of $502.6 million and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are up 33.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates Niska Gas Storage Partners as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has experienced relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- NKA's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 193.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for NISKA GAS STORAGE PARTNERS is rather high; currently it is at 62.00%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 13.93% is above that of the industry average.
- NISKA GAS STORAGE PARTNERS reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, NISKA GAS STORAGE PARTNERS continued to lose money by earning -$0.63 versus -$2.38 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.60 versus -$0.63).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 121.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$37.35 million to $7.97 million.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. We feel that the combination of its price rise over the last year and its current price-to-earnings ratio relative to its industry tend to reduce its upside potential.
- You can view the full Niska Gas Storage Partners Ratings Report.