Strategy To YieldBoost NGPC To 13.2%

Shareholders of NGP Capital Resources Co (NGPC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 9.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2014 covered call at the $7.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 10 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 3.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 13.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $7.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but NGPC shares would have to advance 15.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the BDCs »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of NGP Capital Resources Co, looking at the dividend history chart for NGPC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 9.8% annualized dividend yield.

NGPC+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing NGPC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $7.50 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 covered call at the $7.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $7.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for NGP Capital Resources Co (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $6.50) to be 26%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the NGPC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

More from Stocks

Coke's a Better Stock to Buy Than Pepsi on Surprising North America Sales
Amazon Crushes Quarterly Earnings Estimates, Raises the Price of Prime

Amazon Crushes Quarterly Earnings Estimates, Raises the Price of Prime

Barbie Flexes Her Muscle in Mattel's Q1 Earnings

Barbie Flexes Her Muscle in Mattel's Q1 Earnings

Amazon Crushes First-Quarter Profit Estimates -- Watch TheStreet's Live Analysis

Amazon Crushes First-Quarter Profit Estimates -- Watch TheStreet's Live Analysis

Dow Jumps 238 Points as S&P 500, Nasdaq Also Climb

Dow Jumps 238 Points as S&P 500, Nasdaq Also Climb