SILVER SPRING, Md., Aug. 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nuvilex, Inc. (OTCQB:NVLX) (the "Company"), an international biotechnology company and provider of natural products and cell and gene therapy solutions for the treatment of diseases, is pleased to provide shareholders with an operational update. The Company has made significant strides in several areas over the past few months. Our recent accomplishments and future initiatives include the following:
- The Company has acquired a new subsidiary, Bio Blue Bird AG ("BBB"), which included its worldwide exclusive licenses, for the live-cell encapsulation-based pancreatic cancer treatment and the use of the live-cell encapsulation technology for the development of treatments for many types of cancer. With the exclusive licenses now owned by a Nuvilex subsidiary, Bio Blue Bird AG, management is having the cells assessed and prepared for the planned pancreatic cancer trial, engaging Austrianova Singapore for GMP encapsulation, preparing to have the protocol designed and complete all necessary regulatory steps required to conduct a new clinical trial based upon the use of the live-cell encapsulation-based cancer treatment. All of the production and manufacturing of the encapsulated cells required for future studies will be carried out by Austrianova Singapore. In connection with the acquisition of BBB, Nuvilex acquired a 14.5% ownership stake in SG Austria.
- Nuvilex secured the acquisition of the BBB subsidiary, without issuing 100 million shares to BBB's parent company, SG Austria, which was contemplated in the original purchase agreement. As a result, potential shareholder dilution of greater than 20% was averted.
- The Company intends to acquire the worldwide exclusive rights to the use of the live-cell encapsulation technology for the development of treatments for diabetes from SG Austria. The Company anticipates closing the acquisition on or about October 31, 2013. Funds for this acquisition have already been committed, the final paperwork is executed, and was reported in the recent 8-K submitted to the SEC July 17, 2013. Management believes that a significant opportunity exists in utilizing the live-cell encapsulation treatment for diabetic patients as early tests have demonstrated the potential elimination of the need for insulin therapy. We are planning for future in-depth studies to begin in early 2014.
- As part of its long-term financial objectives, Nuvilex has strengthened its balance sheet to a level not achieved in over 2 years. For example, the Company settled a $2.2M debt owed to Cornerstone Bank, thus eliminating the largest single liability from its balance sheet. The removal of this line item will be reflected in future filings. Moreover, management expects that the balance sheet will continue to improve in the coming quarters.
- Nuvilex has recently retained the legal services of Loeb & Loeb – a prominent, well respected SEC law firm, to assist it with future business development. The law firm will consult for the Company on SEC regulatory matters as Nuvilex enters the next phase of its biotechnology development program.
About NuvilexNuvilex, Inc. (OTCQB:NVLX) is an international biotechnology firm focused on developing and preparing to commercialize treatments for cancer, diabetes and other diseases based on its live, therapeutically valuable, encapsulated cell platform. The Company, originally a provider of all-natural products, is also leveraging its clinical oncology research expertise and experience in the research and development of medical marijuana applications, particularly for use in oncology treatments. For more information visit: www.nuvilex.com . Safe Harbor Statement This press release contains forward-looking statements described within the 1995 Private Securities Litigation Reform Act involving risks and uncertainties including product demand, market competition, and meeting current or future plans which may cause actual results, events, and performances, expressed or implied, to vary and/or differ from those contemplated or predicted. Investors should review and understand all risks set forth in our Annual Report on Form 10-K before making an investment decision. Readers are recommended not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements or information. Nuvilex is not obligated to publicly release revisions to any forward-looking statement, reflect events or circumstances afterward, or disclose unanticipated occurrences, except as required under applicable laws.
CONTACT: Investor Relations Contact: Marlin Molinaro Marmel Communications, LLC Ph: (702) 434-8692 firstname.lastname@example.org