Strategy To YieldBoost Douglas Dynamics To 20.5%

Shareholders of Douglas Dynamics, Inc. (PLOW) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 5.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the September covered call at the $15 strike and collect the premium based on the 30 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 14.8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 20.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but PLOW shares would have to advance 3.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 5.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Douglas Dynamics, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for PLOW below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 5.7% annualized dividend yield.

PLOW+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing PLOW's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $15 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September covered call at the $15 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $15. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Douglas Dynamics, Inc. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $14.50) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the PLOW Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 699,984 contracts, with call volume at 1.21M, for a put:call ratio of 0.58 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today.

null

More from Stocks

Why PayPal's CEO Doesn't Fear Amazon Entering Mobile Payments

Why PayPal's CEO Doesn't Fear Amazon Entering Mobile Payments

Micron and Other Chip Stocks Rally After U.S. Puts China Tariffs On Hold

Micron and Other Chip Stocks Rally After U.S. Puts China Tariffs On Hold

Dow Rises Sharply as U.S.-China Trade Tensions Thaw

Dow Rises Sharply as U.S.-China Trade Tensions Thaw

The Market Is Still Addicted to Stock Buybacks and It Could Prove Lethal

The Market Is Still Addicted to Stock Buybacks and It Could Prove Lethal

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly