|Financial Highlights (Amounts in Thousands, Except Per Share Data)||Three Months Ended|
|June 30, 2013||June 30, 2012||Percent Change|
|Gross Profit %||18.7||%||20.0||%|
|Selling and Administrative Expenses||$||52,729||$||45,933||15||%|
|Selling and Administrative Expenses %||16.5||%||15.9||%|
|Operating Income %||2.1||%||3.8||%|
|Adjusted Operating Income *||$||6,848||$||12,093||(43||%)|
|Adjusted Operating Income % *||2.2||%||4.1||%|
|Adjusted Net Income *||$||7,227||$||6,635||9||%|
|Earnings Per Class B Diluted Share||$||0.18||$||0.16||13||%|
|Adjusted Earnings Per Class B Diluted Share *||$||0.19||$||0.18||6||%|
- Consolidated net sales in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013 increased 10% from the prior year fourth quarter on increased net sales in the Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS) segment.
- Fourth quarter gross profit as a percent of net sales declined 1.3 percentage points from the prior year fourth quarter as the impact of lower margins in the Furniture segment more than offset improved margins in the EMS segment. A sales mix shift toward the EMS segment which carries a lower gross profit percent than the Furniture segment also negatively impacted the consolidated gross profit percent.
- Consolidated fourth quarter selling and administrative expenses increased 15% in absolute dollars compared to the prior year. The increased costs were primarily due to higher employee incentive compensation costs, higher sales and marketing costs related to growth initiatives, and an allowance recorded for notes receivable.
- Other Income/Expense for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013 was income of $0.7 million compared to expense of $2.1 million in the fourth quarter of the prior year. The variance in Other Income/Expense was partially driven by favorable foreign exchange movement that impacted the EMS segment. In addition, the prior year fourth quarter included a pre-tax impairment charge of $1.2 million on an investment in non-marketable equity securities and stock warrants of a privately-held company.
- The Company's effective tax rate for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013 was 2.4% compared to 33.0% in the prior year fourth quarter. The current year fourth quarter effective tax rate was favorably impacted by a higher mix of earnings from foreign jurisdictions with lower tax rates and by favorable state tax accrual adjustments. Also the actual annual effective tax rate for fiscal year 2013 ended lower than what the Company estimated at the end of the third quarter which resulted in a favorable year-to-date adjustment in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013.
- Operating cash flow for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2013 was cash inflow of $22.5 million compared to $29.0 million in the fourth quarter of the prior year.
- The Company's cash and cash equivalents increased to $103.6 million at June 30, 2013, compared to $75.2 million at June 30, 2012. Long-term debt including current maturities remained at $0.3 million.