Strategy To YieldBoost John Bean Technologies From 1.5% To 11.2%

Shareholders of John Bean Technologies Corp ( JBT) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2014 covered call at the $25 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.10 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $25 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but JBT shares would have to advance 4.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of John Bean Technologies Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for JBT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.5% annualized dividend yield.


Below is a chart showing JBT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $25 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 covered call at the $25 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $25. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for John Bean Technologies Corp (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $23.87) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the JBT Stock Options page of


If you liked this article you might like

Welbilt and John Bean Technologies: Cramer's Top Takeaways

Market Stays Strong in the Fight: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 4/7/17)

John Bean Technologies Is a Great Company, but Hold Off on Buying the Stock

Insider Trading Alert - JBT, CLGX And CTS Traded By Insiders