Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Colgate-Palmolive Company ( CL) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Colgate-Palmolive Company as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CL has 11x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.75 mentions/day.
- CL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $186.8 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CL NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CL: Colgate-Palmolive Company, together with its subsidiaries, manufactures and markets consumer products worldwide. The company operates in two segments: Oral, Personal and Home Care; and Pet Nutrition. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.3%. CL has a PE ratio of 23.9. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Colgate-Palmolive Company a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 13 rate it a hold. The average volume for Colgate-Palmolive Company has been 3.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Colgate-Palmolive has a market cap of $54.5 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer non-durables industry. The stock has a beta of 0.25 and a short float of 1.3% with 3.56 days to cover. Shares are up 11.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Colgate-Palmolive Company as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CL's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Household Products industry and the overall market, COLGATE-PALMOLIVE CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $777.00 million or 17.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -1.93%.
- The gross profit margin for COLGATE-PALMOLIVE CO is rather high; currently it is at 61.11%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 10.66% trails the industry average.
- COLGATE-PALMOLIVE CO's earnings per share declined by 21.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, COLGATE-PALMOLIVE CO increased its bottom line by earning $2.58 versus $2.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.84 versus $2.58).
- You can view the full Colgate-Palmolive Company Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.