Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Inergy L.P (NYSE: NRGY) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.30%. Inergy, L.P., an integrated energy midstream master limited partnership, engages in the storage and transportation of natural gas and natural gas liquids (NGL) in the United States and Canada. The company has a P/E ratio of 4.05. The average volume for Inergy L.P has been 708,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Inergy L.P has a market cap of $2.6 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are down 13% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Inergy L.P as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, INERGY LP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- NRGY, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 10.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 32.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for INERGY LP is rather low; currently it is at 18.63%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.28% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $121.00 million or 29.36% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, INERGY LP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Inergy L.P Ratings Report.
- BGCP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 163.76% to $7.52 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, BGC PARTNERS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -81.71%.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has decreased by 14.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $8.19 million to $7.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for BGC PARTNERS INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 9.20%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 1.57% significantly trails the industry average.
- You can view the full BGC Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 0.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from -$8.23 million to -$8.17 million.
- The gross profit margin for QR ENERGY LP is rather high; currently it is at 59.24%. Regardless of QRE's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, QRE's net profit margin of -7.79% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- QRE has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 6.97% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $33.92 million or 33.92% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, QR ENERGY LP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full QR Energy Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 36.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- GSJK's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.08 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.34, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- 43.49% is the gross profit margin for COMPRESSCO PARTNERS LP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GSJK's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GSJK's net profit margin of 14.75% compares favorably to the industry average.
- COMPRESSCO PARTNERS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, COMPRESSCO PARTNERS LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.04 versus $0.47 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 1.0% in earnings ($1.03 versus $1.04).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, COMPRESSCO PARTNERS LP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Compressco Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.