Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Delta Air Lines ( DAL) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Delta Air Lines as such a stock due to the following factors:
- DAL has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.56 mentions/day.
- DAL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $202.6 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in DAL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for DAL NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on DAL: Delta Air Lines, Inc. provides scheduled air transportation for passengers and cargo in the United States and internationally. Its route network is centered around a system of hub and international gateway airports in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.2%. DAL has a PE ratio of 19.2. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Delta Air Lines a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Delta Air Lines has been 10.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Delta Air Lines has a market cap of $17.4 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 0.83 and a short float of 2.2% with 1.95 days to cover. Shares are up 71.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Delta Air Lines as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, DAL's share price has jumped by 100.97%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- DELTA AIR LINES INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DELTA AIR LINES INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.19 versus $1.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.63 versus $1.19).
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Airlines industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 94.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $124.00 million to $7.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for DELTA AIR LINES INC is rather low; currently it is at 16.96%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year.
- You can view the full Delta Air Lines Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.