While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Triangle Capital Corporation (NYSE: TCAP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.60%. Triangle Capital Corporation is a business development company specializing in private equity and mezzanine investments. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.15. The average volume for Triangle Capital Corporation has been 228,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Triangle Capital Corporation has a market cap of $780.3 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are up 11.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Triangle Capital Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 28.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 83.19%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 75.28% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 97.76% to -$0.68 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -296.58%.
- The strong earnings growth this company has enjoyed -- up -- has apparently played a role in driving up its share price by a solid 26.55%. In addition, the rise in the general market has likely contributed to this stock's strong performance during this past year.Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TCAP should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- You can view the full Triangle Capital Corporation Ratings Report.