Shareholders of Haverty Furniture Cos., Inc. (HVT - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the February 2014 covered call at the $30 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 6.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $30 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but HVT shares would have to advance 12.7% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Haverty Furniture Cos., Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for HVT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.6% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing HVT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $30 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February 2014 covered call at the $30 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $30. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Haverty Furniture Cos., Inc. (considering the last 248 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $26.70) to be 34%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the HVT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Schlumberger: The Long-Term Investment Case for Buying the Stock
The drop in oil exploration and production investments since 2014 has hurt Schlumberger. But the company has positioned itself to take advantage of a new industry upturn.
The FANGs Ride Again, Plus Mercury Systems Rising: Market Recon
Netflix led the charge in FANG names. And why MRCY is now a hot stock in the defense sector.
Intel Prospers by Finally Hanging Up on Its Expensive iPhone Crush
Exiting the smartphone business allows Intel to focus on its hugely profitable data center platform, as well as sue the promise of the internet of things.