TORONTO, July 15, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Intellipharmaceutics International Inc. (Nasdaq:IPCI) (TSX:I), a pharmaceutical company specializing in the research, development and manufacture of novel and generic controlled-release and targeted-release oral solid dosage drugs, today announced an update on the following events in its Rexista™ oxycodone development program:
1) The results of the current stage of development and physico-chemical tests to assess abuse-deterrent properties of its Rexista™ oxycodone 2) Stability studies 3) Successful Phase I clinical trial of its Rexista™ abuse-deterrent oxycodone, designed around its proprietary drug delivery system.The physico-chemical tests were conducted on either an intact, pulverized or microwaved Rexista™ oxycodone and included:
- Crush resistance studies conducted to evaluate the potential for abuse by chewing and licking of Rexista™ oxycodone;
- Alcohol challenge studies conducted to evaluate the potential for "dose dumping" related to inadvertent or deliberate co-administration of Rexista™ oxycodone with alcohol;
- Extraction studies in beverages, aqueous and non-aqueous media conducted to evaluate the potential for abuse related to oral administration of oxycodone obtained from dissolved Rexista™ oxycodone;
- Vaporization studies conducted to evaluate the potential for abuse related to insufflation of oxycodone obtained from heating of Rexista™ oxycodone; and
- Syringeability and injectability studies conducted to evaluate the potential for abuse related to intravenous administration of oxycodone obtained from dissolved, pulverized or microwaved Rexista™ oxycodone.
- Rexista™ oxycodone should be difficult to abuse through crushing, chewing or licking;
- Release of oxycodone from Rexista™ oxycodone is likely to be slower or not instantaneous in a range of beverages and solvents;
- Rexista™ oxycodone should not "dose dump", or instantaneously release the entire dose of oxycodone, in the presence of ethanol over a range of concentrations;
- Rexista™ oxycodone when pulverized and reduced to particles should be difficult and time consuming to syringe or inject in the form and volume suitable for intravenous administration;
- Release of oxycodone should be insignificant or inefficient via heating and vaporization;
- Extraction of oxycodone from Rexista™ oxycodone which has been microwaved should be difficult or inefficient; and
- Rexista™ oxycodone when pulverized or reduced to particles should be difficult or inefficient to snort or inhale.