Marathon Petroleum ( MPC) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.4%. By the end of trading, Marathon Petroleum rose $1.73 (2.4%) to $73.24 on average volume. Throughout the day, 4,404,147 shares of Marathon Petroleum exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,320,000 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $70.20-$74.20 after having opened the day at $70.42 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $71.51. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Crosshair Energy ( CXZ), up 36.4%, Cardero Resources Corporation ( CDY), up 20.4%, InterOil Corporation ( IOC), up 10.1% and USEC ( USU), up 9.7%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Marathon Petroleum Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.