TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Consolidated Communications (NASDAQ: CNSL) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.40%. Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, provides telecommunications services to residential and business customers in Illinois, Texas, Pennsylvania, California, Kansas, and Missouri. The company has a P/E ratio of 71.15. The average volume for Consolidated Communications has been 200,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Consolidated Communications has a market cap of $742.1 million and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are up 16.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Consolidated Communications as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, increase in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CNSL's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 0.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 67.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 285.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1.76 million to $6.78 million.
- CONSOLIDATED COMM HLDGS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CONSOLIDATED COMM HLDGS INC reported lower earnings of $0.17 versus $0.88 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.80 versus $0.17).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, CONSOLIDATED COMM HLDGS INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 9.60 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, CNSL has a quick ratio of 0.55, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Consolidated Communications Ratings Report.
- CRT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 16.79, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. CRT has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CRT's net profit margin of 95.20% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- CRT, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 10.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 36.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST's earnings per share declined by 38.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST reported lower earnings of $2.48 versus $2.99 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 37.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $4.25 million to $2.66 million.
- You can view the full Cross Timbers Royalty Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for HORIZON TECHNOLOGY FINANCE is rather high; currently it is at 61.70%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 40.48% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, HORIZON TECHNOLOGY FINANCE underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$18.39 million or 681.35% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Horizon Technology Finance Corp BDC Ratings Report.
- CCCL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.04 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.37, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- CCCL, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 3.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 59.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Building Products industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 107.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $11.38 million to -$0.87 million.
- The gross profit margin for CHINA CERAMICS CO LTD is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.83%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -3.60% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full China Ceramics Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.