TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Invesco Mortgage Capital (NYSE: IVR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 16.70%. Invesco Mortgage Capital Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), focuses on investing in, financing, and managing residential and commercial mortgage-backed securities and mortgage loans. It invests in residential mortgage-backed securities for which a U.S. The company has a P/E ratio of 5.53. The average volume for Invesco Mortgage Capital has been 2,151,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Invesco Mortgage Capital has a market cap of $2.1 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 20% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Invesco Mortgage Capital as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- IVR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 12.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL INC is currently very high, coming in at 92.66%. Regardless of IVR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, IVR's net profit margin of 53.49% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, IVR has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 14.96% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL INC's earnings per share declined by 11.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL INC reported lower earnings of $2.89 versus $3.45 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 13.5% in earnings ($2.50 versus $2.89).
- You can view the full Invesco Mortgage Capital Ratings Report.
- DRE's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 12.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 349.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$17.47 million to $43.53 million.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, DUKE REALTY CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for DUKE REALTY CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.10%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DRE's net profit margin of 13.67% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- You can view the full Duke Realty Ratings Report.
- TWO's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 12.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 101.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, TWO HARBORS INVESTMENT CORP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, TWO has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$20.48 million or 156.49% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Two Harbors Investment Ratings Report.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 10.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- EVEP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.96 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.14 is sturdy.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 262.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $28.59 million to -$46.58 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, EV ENERGY PARTNERS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full EV Energy Partner Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.