TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."BioMed Realty (NYSE: BMR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.60%. BioMed Realty Trust, Inc. operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT) that focuses on providing real estate to the life science industry in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 682.33 The average volume for BioMed Realty has been 1,706,600 shares per day over the past 30 days BioMed Realty has a market cap of $3.8 billion and is part of the real estate industry Shares are up 4.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday TheStreet Ratings rates BioMed Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 12.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 33.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 650.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $2.31 million to $17.31 million.
- BIOMED REALTY TRUST INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BIOMED REALTY TRUST INC reported lower earnings of $0.01 versus $0.18 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.16 versus $0.01).
- The gross profit margin for BIOMED REALTY TRUST INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.07%. Regardless of BMR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BMR's net profit margin of 10.81% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BIOMED REALTY TRUST INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full BioMed Realty Ratings Report.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 15.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP is rather high; currently it is at 54.25%. Regardless of CY's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CY's net profit margin of -16.32% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP's earnings per share declined by 46.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.16 versus $0.89 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.43 versus -$0.16).
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.64 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. To add to this, CY has a quick ratio of 0.61, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Cypress Semiconductor Corporation Ratings Report.
- 49.93% is the gross profit margin for NEWMONT MINING CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of NEM's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NEM's net profit margin of 14.46% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.46, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.84 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 41.65%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 43.24% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $433.00 million or 28.89% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, NEWMONT MINING CORP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Newmont Mining Corporation Ratings Report.
- CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK has improved earnings per share by 11.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK increased its bottom line by earning $7.85 versus $7.30 in the prior year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 108.27% to $235.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 15.28%.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.7%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Commercial Banks industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 7.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $810.00 million to $874.00 million.
- In its most recent trading session, CM has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- You can view the full Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.