Shareholders of Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp (BGFV - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $22.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.65 bid, which annualizes to an additional 24.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 26.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $22.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BGFV shares would have to advance 2.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for BGFV below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.8% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing BGFV's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $22.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $22.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $22.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp (considering the last 248 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $21.96) to be 49%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BGFV Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 547,682 contracts, with call volume at 908,067, for a put:call ratio of 0.60 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today.
More from Stocks
Salesforce Puts Data, Acquisitions Front and Center at Dreamforce Keynote
Salesforce co-CEO Marc Benioff put the spotlight on recently acquired Tableau and Mulesoft in detailing the company's vision in the next year and beyond.
DoorDash Considers Direct Listing Instead of Traditional IPO - Report
A direct listing would avoid some of the scrutiny that comes with a publicized IPO, but the company would miss out on the money raised by issuing new shares.
Nasdaq Closes at Record High, Stocks Mixed Over Home Depot, Trump Trade Threat
The Nasdaq closes at another record high Tuesday, while the Dow and S&P 500 slip on disappointing results from Home Depot and ongoing concerns about a U.S.-China trade agreement.
AMD Shares Higher for Ninth Straight Day; Chipmaker Unveils New CPU Deals
Semiconductor producer unveils new supercomputer, server and cloud computing deals for its latest server CPU line.