Hot summer days are hitting coast-to-coast but it doesn’t mean you need to stay indoors. Life Time – The Healthy Way of Life Company (NYSE: LTM) offers these five tips to easily maintain your outdoor workouts and other activities.
- Choose time wisely: If going for a long run, plan to run in the morning before temperatures rise or in the evening after it cools down. Life Time Run offers a Tuesday night social run guided by a certified run coach that would be perfect for anyone trying to beat the heat. For training programs or strength routines, focus on shorter workouts that allow you to enjoy the sunshine without being outside for too long.
- Wear loose fitting and light clothes: Look for high-tech apparel designed to pull sweat away from the body to keep you comfortable and dry. Wear lighter colors to reflect the heat and plan to wear a hat or a visor to keep your face protected. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
- Stay hydrated: Drinking water before and after a workout is vital but don’t forget to drink throughout your outdoor activities as well.
- Know and Monitor your heart rate: Complete an Active Metabolic Assessment to determine your fuel utilization in each of your five Heart Rate Training Zones. Entering those zones into a heart rate monitor is a great way to see how hard your heart is working and how much stress you’re putting on your body, especially when exercising outdoors. A heart rate monitor allows you to understand when you need to slow down your speed or exercise intensity in order to avoid overheating and/or becoming dehydrated. A Life Time Metabolic Specialist can work with you to understand your personalized target heart rate zones to maximize results and help you safely and effectively reach your goals indoors or outside.
- Recover: Recovery is important with any workout but is especially imperative after an outdoor workout in the heat. In addition to water, replenish with a high-quality whey protein shake, Creatine and Glutamine for muscle recovery or stop by the LifeCafe for a post-workout smoothie. Taking an Omega-3 fish oil and a multivitamin daily will also aid in overall health.