- $45.0 million commitment to Anacor Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: ANAC), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel small molecule therapeutics derived from its boron chemistry platform.
- $20.0 million commitment to Spring Mobile Solutions, a global leader in delivering mission-critical mobile application software and end-to-end mobility solutions that enable enterprises to increase productivity and maximize business success.
- $20.0 million commitment to Rockwell Medical (NASDAQ: RMTI), a fully-integrated biopharmaceutical company targeting end-stage renal disease (ESRD) and chronic kidney disease (CKD) with innovative products and services for the treatment of iron deficiency, secondary hyperparathyroidism and hemodialysis.
- $17.5 million commitment to Orion HealthCorp, Inc., a top medical billing and practice management company that supports office-based physicians and hospital specialists across the United States.
- $15.0 million commitment to TPI Composites, a global provider of high-quality composites such as wind turbine blades and other structurally advanced products that achieves cost-effective solutions through partnerships with the industry’s leading manufacturers.
- $10.0 million commitment to TouchCommerce, a company focusing on accelerating results for its customers by delivering exceptional online engagement solutions, that enhance customer experience, increase revenue and reduce support costs, while using real time customer data analytics.
- $10.0 million commitment to a developer of human gene based therapies.
- $8.0 million commitment to CashStar, a leading digital gifting and incentives company that delivers on-demand gifting and mobile payment technology and multi-channel marketing services to the world's leading retail brands.
- $6.0 million commitment to Agrivida, a commercial leader in developing high-performance industrial enzymes and engineered crops for optimized production of biofuels, bio-based chemicals, and animal feed products.
- $5.0 million commitment to Mobile Posse, a leading provider of next-generation mobile marketing, CRM and research solutions for the home screen.
- $3.5 million commitment to Startapp, a Mobile Ad Network specializing in monetization and distribution of free mobile applications.
- $3.0 million commitment to Plures Technologies Inc. (OTCPK: MANY), an electronics company that through its subsidiary Advanced MicroSensors Corporation, develops, engineers, and manufactures MEMS (micro electrical mechanical systems) and Spintronics products in the forms of magnetic compassing sensors, medical sensors and switches, and industrial switches.
- $2.0 million commitment to MDEverywhere, a leading provider of revenue cycle services for physicians that offers a unique solution that includes web-based practice management software, coding rules engines, contract monitoring tools and full-scope claims management and back-office services.
It is important to note that certain commitments may expire without being drawn upon and commitments do not necessarily represent future cash requirements or future earning assets for Hercules. Our commitments may include conditions such as reaching certain milestones before the Hercules debt commitment would become available which will affect our funding levels. Hercules is instituting more funding or performance based milestone requirements to mitigate risk. Our fundings to commitments ratio refers to the amount of a closed commitment which is funded.Principal Repayments: As of June 26, 2013, Hercules received approximately $123.8 million in principal repayments, of which approximately $93.3 million were unscheduled early repayments. Portfolio Company Liquidity Events for Quarter-to-Date Q2 2013: Quarter-to-date, seven Hercules portfolio companies have announced or completed eight liquidity events. M&A As previously reported, in April 2013, Japanese company Ajinomoto Co., Inc. (TYO: 2802) completed its acquisition of Hercules portfolio company Althea Technologies. Hercules sold its entire warrant investment held in portfolio company Althea Technologies for a net gain of approximately $4.3 million, of which $3.8 million will be realized in the second quarter. The remaining $500,000 is being held in escrow. Hercules realized a gross warrant multiple of 14.9x and an internal rate of return of approximately 28.4 percent on the total investment in Althea Technologies. In May 2013, Hercules portfolio company EKOS Corporation reached a definitive agreement to be acquired by U.K.-based BTG (BTG.L) in a transaction valued at approximately $180.0 million with up to $40.0 million as milestone payments, subject to customary closing conditions. In May 2013, AstraZeneca entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Hercules portfolio company Omthera Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: OMTH) for a total potential transaction value of approximately $443.0 million, subject to customary closing conditions. In May 2013, Hercules portfolio company Enpirion, Inc., reached a definitive agreement to be acquired by Altera Corporation (NASDAQ: ALTR) in a transaction valued at approximately $141.0 million, subject to customary closing conditions. In June 2013, Hercules portfolio company Solutionary, Inc., announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation. The financial terms of the all-cash transaction were not disclosed. The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions. In June 2013, Hercules portfolio company Luminus Devices, Inc., announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by Lightera Corporation. The financial terms of the all-cash transaction were not disclosed. The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions. There can be no assurances that these companies will complete their respective mergers and acquisitions in a timely manner or at all.
Completed IPOsAs previously reported, quarter-to-date, two of Hercules' portfolio companies completed IPOs:
- In April 2013, Omthera Pharmaceuticals, Inc. completed its initial public offering and its shares are trading on the NASDAQ under the symbol ("OMTH"). In May, AstraZeneca entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Omthera Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: OMTH) for a total potential transaction value of approximately $443.0 million. Post it’s completed IPO, on May 2013 it entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired, see disclosure above.
- In May 2013, Portola Pharmaceuticals, Inc. completed its initial public offering and its shares are trading on the NASDAQ under the symbol ("PTLA").
Hercules’ common stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "HTGC."In addition, Hercules has two outstanding bond issuances of 7.00 percent Senior Notes due 2019—the April 2019 Notes and September 2019 Notes—which trade on the NYSE under the symbols “HTGZ” and “HTGY,” respectively. Companies interested in learning more about financing opportunities should contact email@example.com, or call 650.289.3060. Forward-Looking Statements: The statements contained in this release that are not purely historical are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and are subject to uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements including, without limitation, the risks, uncertainties, including the uncertainties surrounding the current market turbulence, and other factors we identify from time to time in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Although we believe that the assumptions on which these forward-looking statements are based are reasonable, any of those assumptions could prove to be inaccurate and, as a result, the forward-looking statements based on those assumptions also could be incorrect. You should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements contained in this release are made as of the date hereof, and Hercules assumes no obligation to update the forward-looking statements for subsequent events.