Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) ranks number one in overall performance among U.S. health insurers based on a review of 2012 claims-payment data conducted by athenahealth , Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHN), a leading provider of cloud-based practice-management, Electronic Health Record and care-coordination services to medical groups. Humana is the highest performing payer in all of PayerView, which seeks to provide an objective, quantitative measure of providers’ “ease of doing business” with individual payers by aggregating the activity of 40,000 health care providers, reviewing 83 million transactions and $15 billion in charges. In addition, Humana also maintained its first place ranking from 2011 for eligibility accuracy. Humana’s eligibility response matches claim adjudication information better than any other payers. This means it includes more accurate member plan benefit information than other health plans, saving members and providers time and hassle. “We are pleased to see Humana rise to the number one spot and hope that more payers use PayerView to inform their own initiatives to improve the provider experience,” said Todd Rothenhaus, Chief Medical Officer for athenahealth. “For eight years now, PayerView has reported on how payers rank in areas of financial performance, administrative performance and transaction efficacy so providers know the best and most challenging payers with which to partner.” athenahealth PayerView Humana highlights include:
- Humana had the best performance for days in accounts receivable (DAR) among major payers and national commercial payers, representing a 12 percent improvement from last year.
- Humana was one of the only payers that decreased the provider collection burden.
- Humana had the highest ranked electronic remittance advice (ERA) transparency rate among major payers.
- Humana performed well in new metrics that will factor into next year’s PayerView rankings, tying for first place in enrollment efficiency among major payers.
Data for the 2013 PayerView rankings were derived from athenahealth’s athenaNet® system database. Complete data from the 2013 PayerView study can be found online at www.athenahealth.com/payerview.About athenahealth, Inc. athenahealth is a leading provider of cloud-based services for EHR, practice management, and care coordination. athenahealth’s mission is to be caregivers’ most trusted service, helping them do well doing the right thing. For more information, please visit www.athenahealth.com or call 888-652-8200. About Humana Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships. More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information.