NOOK Media LLC, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc. ( NYSE: BKS), a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced an updated NOOK App for Windows 8 with a new user interface, faster performance and the most requested features including highlighting, annotations, dictionary lookup, find in books, improved shop and search functionality, and the ability to sideload ePub and PDF files from their local drives. Users can now search for content in their library or the shop by simply starting to type, which will initiate the search charm. With the new v1.5 NOOK App for Windows 8, customers will also receive 50% off a select list of bestselling NOOK Books and magazine issues for a limited time. Top book titles include Outliers: The Story of Success, Freakonomics, Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America's Kings of Beer, The Hit and Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV, as well as top magazines including National Geographic, Us Weekly, Rolling Stone, Men’s Health and WIRED. To find and download these great titles, NOOK for Windows 8 users can simply scroll to “Shop Popular Lists” in the app to take advantage of these great prices. “NOOK is the highest-rated reading and digital bookstore app for Windows 8 and we’ve added even more great features that were requested by our customers,” said Jamie Iannone, President of Digital Products at NOOK Media LLC. “With the NOOK App for Windows 8, customers get an incredible reading experience and can choose from over 3 million NOOK Books, including 1 million free titles, as well as magazines, newspapers and comics on any Windows 8 device.” The NOOK App for Windows 8 enables customers to sign in and shop using their Microsoft account, dramatically simplifying the reading and shopping experience. The NOOK App for Windows 8 provides customers easy access to NOOK’s vast selection of digital books, magazines, newspapers and comics on Windows 8.
A Growing and Diverse Digital Catalog and Other Innovative FeaturesThe NOOK Store ™ offers NOOK App for Windows 8 customers access to one of the world’s largest digital content collections featuring:
- More than 3 million books, including 1 million free books, from bestsellers to new releases, classics and more. Download in seconds, without ever leaving the app.
- The largest digital collection of the top 100 bestselling magazines available for digital subscriptions and single copy sale, plus a large selection of leading daily and weekly newspapers all available for immediate download.
- Sign in using your Microsoft account – no need to create a new account.
- A vast and growing collection of full-color comics, graphic novels and kids’ comics.
- Free samples of NOOK Books and 14-day free trial subscriptions of newspapers and magazines.
- ArticleView™ for magazines, which places an entire article on one page for easy reading.
- The ability to sync the last page read across NOOK devices and apps so you don’t lose your place.
- Adjustable fonts, spacing and themes for a customized reading experience.
- NOOK Channels™, a pioneering recommendation system that provides an easy way to discover new titles by theme.