Unlike legacy systems management solutions, which often encompass separate point solutions, the K1000 integrates all its systems management functionality in an easy-to-deploy physical or virtual appliance. The new software asset management features include:
- Software titling engine that automates detailed software audit and compliance reporting to avoid license violations and associated fines. According to a software asset management survey by Ernst & Young 1, up to 60 percent of customers polled do not monitor software usage and usage patterns, although the software infringement liability can equal up to three times the retail value of each unlicensed software installation.
- Integration with the Dell Application Catalog (DAC), which provides access to approximately 110 million unique executable files. A web-based offering that is fully integrated with the Dell KACE K1000, the Dell Application Catalog has the advantage of daily updates and the addition of approximately 4,000 new applications annually. DAC offers deep cataloging capabilities with the ability to map minor software versions to the parent package for more accurate license tracking and usage across major versions of Microsoft Windows and Apple applications. Additionally, software suite recognition easily discerns whether an application has been installed in standalone mode or as part of a broader software suite.
- Automated metering that enables administrators to view usage information based on when an application is actually run, for accurate compliance reporting and fast identification of underutilized software.
- Dennis Drogseth, vice president, Enterprise Management Associates:“According to our research, effective Software Asset Management consistently ranks as one of the top three priorities for service-aware asset management. Too often, however, this data is fragmented, inconsistent and contains gaps that easily can exceed as much as 30 percent, which can cost millions in failed audits, penalties and high-priced consulting fees. Dell KACE K1000 brings a unique combination of knowledgebase, inventory, usage analysis, and full lifecycle management to help ensure that license management is both effective and can provide improved integration into broader asset and service management concerns.”
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dellsoftware
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dellsoftware
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Dell-Software-4793472
- Dell Software YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/DellSoftwareVideo
1 Ernst & Young LLP, Software Compliance without Tears, monitoring customers’ software usage in a complex world, 2011.2 The pricing information set forth herein is subject to change at any time and may vary outside the United States. Taxes, shipping and other fees may apply. All orders are subject to approval and acceptance by Dell.