Shareholders of Bassett Furniture Industries, Inc (BSET - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 90 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 10% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BSET shares would have to climb 13.1% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 18.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Bassett Furniture Industries, Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for BSET below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.3% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing BSET's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Bassett Furniture Industries, Inc (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $15.47) to be 37%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BSET Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Ex-Facebook Execs Have Plenty of Advice for Zuckerberg
Facebook's ex-security chief said Mark Zuckerberg should step down as CEO, and it's not the first time a former Facebook insider has aired grievances over the scandal-stricken firm.
Is Unit Corp's Quant Downgrade a Called 'Third Strike'?
UNT has been downgraded to sell by TheStreet's Quant ratings service.
Dow Ends Off on Reports of More China Tensions; Apple, Boeing Weigh
Stocks end down Wednesday as renewed trade tensions between the U.S. and China weigh on shares.