Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."America First Tax Exempt Investors L.P (NASDAQ: ATAX) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.30%. America First Tax Exempt Investors, L.P. engages in acquiring, holding, selling, and dealing with a portfolio of federally tax-exempt mortgage revenue bonds, which have been issued to provide construction and/or permanent financing of multifamily residential apartments. The company has a P/E ratio of 32.62. The average volume for America First Tax Exempt Investors L.P has been 145,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. America First Tax Exempt Investors L.P has a market cap of $293.0 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 2.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates America First Tax Exempt Investors L.P as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- This stock has managed to rise its share value by 27.50% over the past twelve months. Although ATAX had significant growth over the past year, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock at the current time.
- The gross profit margin for AMERICA FIRST TAX EX IVS -LP is rather high; currently it is at 63.90%. Regardless of ATAX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ATAX's net profit margin of 31.02% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.53 million or 113.17% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 113.17%, AMERICA FIRST TAX EX IVS -LP is still significantly exceeding the industry average of -173.46%.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Thrifts & Mortgage Finance industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, AMERICA FIRST TAX EX IVS -LP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full America First Tax Exempt Investors L.P Ratings Report.
- BBEP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 63.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 27.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$49.97 million to -$36.30 million.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $58.85 million or 17.45% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 17.45%, BREITBURN ENERGY PARTNERS LP is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -25.53%.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, BREITBURN ENERGY PARTNERS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full BreitBurn Energy Partners Ratings Report.
- NTE's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 0.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 102.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- NTE's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, NTE has a quick ratio of 1.95, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- NAM TAI ELECTRONIC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NAM TAI ELECTRONIC turned its bottom line around by earning $1.53 versus -$0.01 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 79.7% in earnings ($0.31 versus $1.53).
- The gross profit margin for NAM TAI ELECTRONIC is currently extremely low, coming in at 9.00%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 2.80% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$4.41 million or 325.97% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Nam Tai Electronics Ratings Report.
- DOM has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 74.66, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. DOM has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DOM's net profit margin of 81.35% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 10.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.2%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR's earnings per share declined by 5.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR reported lower earnings of $0.54 versus $0.93 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income has decreased by 10.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $1.44 million to $1.30 million.
- You can view the full Dominion Resources Black Warrior Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.