Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ: CY) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.10%. Cypress Semiconductor Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, designs, develops, manufactures, and markets mixed-signal, programmable solutions, specialized semiconductor memories, and integrated semiconductor solutions. The average volume for Cypress Semiconductor Corporation has been 2,919,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Cypress Semiconductor Corporation has a market cap of $1.6 billion and is part of the electronics industry. Shares are down 0.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Cypress Semiconductor Corporation as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 15.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP is rather high; currently it is at 54.30%. Regardless of CY's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CY's net profit margin of -16.32% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP's earnings per share declined by 46.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.16 versus $0.89 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.43 versus -$0.16).
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.64 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. To add to this, CY has a quick ratio of 0.61, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Cypress Semiconductor Corporation Ratings Report.
- OZM's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 91.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 119.54% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 46.18% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 1922.49% to $581.25 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, OCH-ZIFF CAPITAL MGMT LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -335.21%.
- The gross profit margin for OCH-ZIFF CAPITAL MGMT LP is rather high; currently it is at 66.40%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.64% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Och-Ziff Capital Management Group Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 192.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5,767.00 million to $16,863.00 million.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.36, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.90 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- The gross profit margin for BP PLC is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.50%. Regardless of BP's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BP's net profit margin of 17.91% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BP PLC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full BP Ratings Report.
- IVR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL INC is currently very high, coming in at 92.70%. Regardless of IVR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, IVR's net profit margin of 53.49% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL INC's earnings per share declined by 11.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INVESCO MORTGAGE CAPITAL INC reported lower earnings of $2.89 versus $3.45 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 13.5% in earnings ($2.50 versus $2.89).
- You can view the full Invesco Mortgage Capital Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.