How To YieldBoost Altera To 6%

Shareholders of Altera Corp. (ALTR) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $40 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.65 bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $40 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but ALTR shares would have to climb 18.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 26.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Altera Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for ALTR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.2% annualized dividend yield.

ALTR+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing ALTR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $40 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $40 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $40. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Altera Corp. (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $33.66) to be 30%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the ALTR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 1.16M contracts, with call volume at 2.12M, for a put:call ratio of 0.55 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today.

null

More from Stocks

Dow Tumbles as Trump Ratchets Up China Trade Fight

Dow Tumbles as Trump Ratchets Up China Trade Fight

10 Stocks Goldman Sachs Thinks Will Crush the S&P 500's Performance in 2019

10 Stocks Goldman Sachs Thinks Will Crush the S&P 500's Performance in 2019

Dropbox Is the New Defensive Stock to Own With the Market Falling Apart

Dropbox Is the New Defensive Stock to Own With the Market Falling Apart

3 Warning Signs the Stock Market Could Collapse

3 Warning Signs the Stock Market Could Collapse

This Should Be Your Retirement Savings Plan When the Stock Market Crashes

This Should Be Your Retirement Savings Plan When the Stock Market Crashes