YieldBoost PCCC To 12.5%

Shareholders of PC Connection, Inc. ( PCCC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2014 covered call at the $20 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.10 bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $20 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but PCCC shares would have to advance 19% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 25.5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of PC Connection, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for PCCC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.3% annualized dividend yield.

PCCC+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing PCCC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $20 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 covered call at the $20 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $20. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for PC Connection, Inc. (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $16.83) to be 42%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the PCCC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 1.16M contracts, with call volume at 2.12M, for a put:call ratio of 0.55 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today.

null

If you liked this article you might like

PC Connection: A Strong Internet Seller Not Named Amazon

Insider Trading Alert - BRT, PCCC And STMP Traded By Insiders

My 'Buying Ugly' Portfolio Looks Pretty Hot

My 'Buying Ugly' Portfolio Looks Pretty Hot

'Buying Ugly' -- Introducing the Double-Net Dividend Portfolio

Insider Trading Alert - PCCC, SYRG And MWE Traded By Insiders