Strategy To YieldBoost Spectrum Pharmaceuticals From 1.8% To 13%

Shareholders of Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $9.85 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.50 bid, which annualizes to an additional 11.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 13% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $9.85 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SPPI shares would have to climb 20% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 38.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for SPPI below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.8% annualized dividend yield.

SPPI+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing SPPI's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $9.85 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $9.85 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $9.85. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $8.23) to be 63%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the SPPI Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 1.16M contracts, with call volume at 2.12M, for a put:call ratio of 0.55 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today.

null

More from Stocks

Dow Tumbles, Stocks Slide on Renewed Trade War Concerns

Dow Tumbles, Stocks Slide on Renewed Trade War Concerns

3 Must Reads on the Market From TheStreet's Top Columnists

3 Must Reads on the Market From TheStreet's Top Columnists

Ford CEO Jim Hackett Driving Future of Mobility in Detroit - Ford Jr. Cheers

Ford CEO Jim Hackett Driving Future of Mobility in Detroit - Ford Jr. Cheers

Here's Why Snap Shares Are Climbing Monday

Here's Why Snap Shares Are Climbing Monday

Dropbox Soars in Third-Straight Record-Setting Session

Dropbox Soars in Third-Straight Record-Setting Session