Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."Knightsbridge Tankers (NASDAQ: VLCCF) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.50%. Knightsbridge Tankers Limited, through its subsidiaries, engages in the seaborne transportation of crude oil and dry bulk cargoes worldwide. The company's customers include oil companies, tanker companies, dry bulk companies, petroleum products traders, government agencies, and other entities. The average volume for Knightsbridge Tankers has been 251,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Knightsbridge Tankers has a market cap of $200.9 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 56.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Knightsbridge Tankers as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- KNIGHTSBRIDGE TANKERS LTD has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, KNIGHTSBRIDGE TANKERS LTD reported lower earnings of $1.33 versus $2.12 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 94.7% in earnings ($0.07 versus $1.33).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 727.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $9.08 million to -$57.01 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, KNIGHTSBRIDGE TANKERS LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 54.77%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 729.72% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 39.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Knightsbridge Tankers Ratings Report.
- In its most recent trading session, STB has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- STUDENT TRANSPORTATION INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Road & Rail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 42.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.04 million to $1.75 million.
- The gross profit margin for STUDENT TRANSPORTATION INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 26.90%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 1.45% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $13.70 million or 42.38% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Student Transportation Ratings Report.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income has decreased by 17.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $9.52 million to $7.82 million.
- Looking at the price performance of VOC's shares over the past 12 months, there is not much good news to report: the stock is down 31.92%, and it has underformed the S&P 500 Index. In addition, the company's earnings per share are lower today than the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- VOC ENERGY TRUST's earnings per share declined by 17.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VOC ENERGY TRUST increased its bottom line by earning $2.19 versus $1.42 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 5.6% in earnings ($2.07 versus $2.19).
- VOC, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 8.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 17.6%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for VOC ENERGY TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. VOC has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VOC's net profit margin of 97.68% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full VOC Energy Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.