JPMorgan ChaseShares of JPMorgan have returned 24% this year, following a 36% return during 2012. The shares trade for 9.0 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $5.94 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. This is the cheapest forward price-to-earnings valuation among the "big six" U.S. banks:
- Citigroup's (C) shares on Wednesday closed at $50.99 and traded for 9.6 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $5.32.
- Morgan Stanley (MS) closed at $24.71 and traded for 9.7 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $2.54.
- Shares of Bank of America (BAC) closed at $13.30 and traded for 10.3 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.29.
- Wells Fargo (WFC) closed at $40.11 and traded for 10.3 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $3.90.
- Goldman Sachs (GS) closed at $159.41 and traded for 10.4 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $15.27.
With Dimon successfully shrugging off the attempt by some shareholders to split his dual roles as JPMorgan's CEO and chairman of the board of directors, Sterne Agee analyst Todd Hagerman wrote in a note to clients on Tuesday that "the incremental headline risk associated with a potential management re-shuffling should subside, with an increased investor focus on the company's otherwise solid operating results." Hagerman rates JPMorgan Chase a "buy," with a price target of $54.00. KBW analyst Christopher Mutascio on Wednesday reiterated his "outperform" rating for JPMorgan Chase, while raising his price target for the shares to $58 from $54. "Our original target price of $54 was on the conservative side," Mutascio wrote in a note to clients, "representing less than 9.5x our 2014 EPS estimate of $5.80, as we were concerned about the lingering impact the London Whale incident would have on the company's P/E multiple. But, with the market willing to put a P/E multiple of 12.0x on names like
Interested in more on JPMorgan Chase? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn