YieldBoost Lennar Corp. From 0.4% To 5.6%

Shareholders of Lennar Corp. (LEN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $55 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.75 bid, which annualizes to an additional 5.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $55 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but LEN shares would have to advance 26.8% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 35.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Lennar Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for LEN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.4% annualized dividend yield.

LEN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing LEN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $55 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $55 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $55. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Lennar Corp. (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $43.17) to be 36%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the LEN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

More from Stocks

18 Auto Stocks Trump Just Ran Over With His China Tariff Attack

18 Auto Stocks Trump Just Ran Over With His China Tariff Attack

3 Ways for Retirees to Protect Their Portfolios In Volatile Stock Markets

3 Ways for Retirees to Protect Their Portfolios In Volatile Stock Markets

Why Carvana - the Amazon of Cars - Isn't Worried About Trade Tariffs

Why Carvana - the Amazon of Cars - Isn't Worried About Trade Tariffs

Dow Tumbles 300 Points as Trump Ratchets Up China Trade Fight

Dow Tumbles 300 Points as Trump Ratchets Up China Trade Fight

Tesla's Battery Tech Is Unrivaled

Tesla's Battery Tech Is Unrivaled