In addition, the company has also made progress on its 2011 commitment to new consumer communication and education initiatives targeting water quality and conservation, including:
- Partnering with the National Association of Conservation Districts to educate homeowners on sustainable lawn care practices through a Backyard Conservation program.
- Last spring in Texas, Scotts launched Texas Water Smart®, a public/private partnership that has become the state's largest consumer water conservation and education initiative in just over a year, leveraging the company's marketing expertise and resources to help bring critical water conservation messaging to consumers across the drought-plagued state. The initiative, which includes advertising, point of sale information, educational materials and workshops, now includes hundreds of elected officials, including Texas Agricultural Commissioner Todd Staples. It also counts many water authority officials, major retailers, industry representatives and other utilities and companies committed to drought relief
- Taking advantage of the direct to consumer education opportunity, Turf Builder® brand product packaging now includes environmental stewardship practices for consumers
- Annually, the company's consumer call center helps hundreds of thousands of homeowners properly use and apply lawn food products in their own lawns
- Beginning this week in Florida, Scotts radio advertising will carry a message reminding consumers to keep lawn food products on lawns, where they help to grow healthy grass, and off of driveways and impervious surfaces where they could be washed away into local waterways.