Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Arlington Asset Investment (NYSE: AI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 12.60%. Arlington Asset Investment Corp., an investment firm, acquires mortgage-related and other assets. The company has a P/E ratio of 1.58. The average volume for Arlington Asset Investment has been 345,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Arlington Asset Investment has a market cap of $444.1 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 33.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Arlington Asset Investment as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- AI, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 70.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT increased its bottom line by earning $15.11 versus $1.98 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 73.1% in earnings ($4.07 versus $15.11).
- The gross profit margin for ARLINGTON ASSET INVESTMENT is rather low; currently it is at 21.30%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the weak results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 66.20% has significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- You can view the full Arlington Asset Investment Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 17.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to -$19.37 million or 45.15% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, GOLUB CAPITAL BDC INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -119.02%.
- The gross profit margin for GOLUB CAPITAL BDC INC is currently very high, coming in at 70.80%. Regardless of GBDC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GBDC's net profit margin of 55.80% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 7.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $11.43 million to $12.25 million.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full Golub Capital BDC Inc. Class B Ratings Report.
- NTE's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 1.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 102.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- NTE's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, NTE has a quick ratio of 1.95, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, NAM TAI ELECTRONIC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 1000.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 60.99% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, NTE should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- You can view the full Nam Tai Electronics Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.