Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Alcoa (NYSE: AA) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income increased by 58.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $94.00 million to $149.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 70.33% to -$70.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, ALCOA INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -49.35%.
- ALCOA INC has improved earnings per share by 44.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ALCOA INC reported lower earnings of $0.17 versus $0.52 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.46 versus $0.17).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.9%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ALCOA INC is rather low; currently it is at 16.90%. Regardless of AA's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AA's net profit margin of 2.55% compares favorably to the industry average.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff