Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model. NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Peoples Federal (Nasdaq: PEOP) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- The gross profit margin for PEOPLES FEDERAL BANCSHS INC is currently very high, coming in at 84.00%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 12.34% trails the industry average.
- PEOPLES FEDERAL BANCSHS INC's earnings per share declined by 15.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PEOPLES FEDERAL BANCSHS INC reported lower earnings of $0.26 versus $0.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.48 versus $0.26).
- PEOP, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.8%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.19 million or 109.93% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 109.93%, PEOPLES FEDERAL BANCSHS INC is still significantly exceeding the industry average of -171.88%.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff